Even as an experienced cat owner, you don't always know everything about velvet paws. Or do you know how much time cats sleep throughout their lives? How many different sounds can cats make? And how similar is the cat brain to the human one?
1. On average, cats sleep around two thirds of their life. A 12-year-old kitty is only around 4 years awake in life.
2. A cat's head always stays at the same height level during the hunt. In contrast, dogs and humans move their heads up and down.
3. Did you know that male cats are mostly left-handed and female mostly right-handed? Actually it should be left and right pillar.
4. Which brain is more similar to humans - that of a cat or that of a dog? The answer is: a cat's brain is more like a human. In this way, emotions arise in both in the same brain regions.
5. Your cat is not really happy about sweets? No wonder cats cannot taste sweets. Science here assumes a mutation as a result of which the sweet taste receptors have been lost.
Cats and their sense of smell: This is how fur noses smell
It is not as good as that of a dog, but significantly better than that of us humans: The ...
6. A cat can make about 100 different sounds. For comparison: a dog only makes about ten noises with barking, growling and co.
7. The term "cat" comes from the old high German "kazza", but the origin of which has not been passed down beyond doubt.
8. Cats hearing is more than three times better than human. This allows cats to hear sounds with frequencies of up to 65,000 hertz, while humans only hear up to 20,000 hertz.
9. Look your kitty deep in the cat's eyes. You will find that she has vertical pupils there. These are important when it comes to the incidence of light and, in combination with the so-called multifocal lenses, ensure that cats can see razor-sharp during the day and at night.
10. The classic: A cat sits on the tree and never comes down. It's true, cats really have trouble getting down from the tree. This is due to the bending of their claws. These are curved so that they cannot climb upside down.